Sunday, June 24, 2012

Preparing for Departure....

Sanibonani!

According to my usual methods, I have procrastinated until the very last minute in setting up this blog, so it will be a little light on details.  In short, in just under three days, I will be heading to Swaziland in Southern Africa, where I will live for the next 26 months as a Peace Corps HIV/AIDS volunteer.

The past few weeks here have been wonderful and overwhelming - I've spent time with my family, celebrated my youngest nephew's first birthday, seen one of my closest friends get married, visited with friends I see far too infrequently.  I'm aware every day how fortunate I am to have so many wonderful, amazing people in my life.  Which, of course, makes it much, much harder to leave for the next two years.

Ultimately, however, I'm more excited than I can explain about this next part of my life.  I want to list all of the info about Swaziland that I've accumulated over the past few months for you, but, as stated above, I'm running short on time and still have lots to do before heading to staging on Tuesday afternoon.  But, the beauty of modern technology means all you have to do is type "Swaziland" into your favorite search engine, and off you go!  You'll find out pretty quickly that Swaziland has the highest rate of HIV in the world at approximately 26%, with recent statistics indicating that over 50% of pregnant women are infected.  You'll find that laws still exist and are enforced that make it illegal for women to own property, despite the fact that these laws are unconstitutional according to the Swazi Constitution adopted in 2005.  You'll find that Swaziland is the last true monarchy in Africa, with a king who not only reigns, but rules - and that political parties are illegal.

You'll also find a vibrant, beautiful and ancient culture, with passionate activists and artists, strong family bonds and amazing strength in the face of terrible poverty and disease.  Although I'm sure the next couple of years will present their share, and more, of challenges, I can't wait until Swaziland becomes more than just words on a page, and I hope to use this blog to bring some of my experiences to you.  I don't know yet what internet access will be like, so I don't know how often I'll be able to post updates, but I'll do my best.

In case you're interested, here's my mailing address for the first few months.  If and when it changes, I'll let you know:

PCV/Catherine Reilly
Peace Corps Swaziland
Box 2797
Mbabane H100
Swaziland
AFRICA*

*Just an FYI, making "Africa" large and visible is very important, as it is apparently very common for packages to be sent to Switzerland instead of Swaziland. Oh, US Postal Service - what am I gonna do with you...


8 comments:

  1. Kate, I recall some many decades ago when in the same position you faced, though in the last few days before leaving, fear took over for excitement only to see the latter take over again when I reached the airport and saw my friends from training. And the experience has lived with me all these years, a seering view of the rest of the world and a life time friend among the many benefits.

    So I have one question. I recognize my memory is not as good as it might be but I know you graduated a year ago. That bad my memory isn't. So please add to your blog what you were doing this past year before the new baby came into the family.

    Fondly,
    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I am so excited for you as you embark on this next big adventure. Can't wait to see some of your reactions to the new sights, sounds, smells, and cultural differences. All good wishes! Sarah Ricks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading more of your blog. You're doing a great thing.

    When you get back we're getting married, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We look forward to reading about your journey! We love you and will miss you so much. We promise to visit you in Swaziland and ensure to have "AFRICA" in large letters on our foreheads :)!

    "the Kijima-Sherman's"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate,
    That country seems way too small for you and a monarch! We're all proud of you, and can't wait to hear about your adventures. It's an awesome thing you're undertaking.
    Love,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt Katie, I'll miss you in Africa! You're doing an amazing thing for the people of Swaziland. Take lots of pictures and remember to send me a postcard! Bon Voyage!:):):) Love, Max

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy about your excitement for this adventure! You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I look forward to following yur blog. You are definitely a strong woman! God bless, Aunt Sta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kate
    I am so proud of you. I hope the initial leg of your journey went well. I look forward to reading your weblog and skyping whenever you have the opportunity. I wish you love and safe travels.
    Love, Kelly - "the other bookend"!

    ReplyDelete